Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The movies of spring break! I saved the best for last...

Wanderlust:
-This film was just what the new comedy genre needed.  If you like Paul Rudd's style, this movie is perfect.  It's silly, wild, and unexpected.  It wasn't the most amazing movie I've seen recently, but it isn't a waste of time, especially if you're looking for a laugh from some of the best, lesser-known comedians the industry has to offer!
-I'd suggest this one to those of you who liked Our Idiot Brother but wanted something a little more funny.

I Don't Know How She Does It:
-If you don't like Sarah Jessica Parker's acting style, you won't like this one, that's my guess.  It wasn't the most amazing film, however, if you enjoy a strong career woman and some witty writing, this one was pretty good.  It's an enjoyable watch. 
-If you liked Did You Hear About the Morgans, you'd probably like this one too.

One Day:
-I wasn't exactly sure what to think of this one when I initially started watching it.  It had the potential to be excellent, but the fake English accent that Anne Hathaway put on threw me.  It had a lovely idea: two people ripped apart and brought back together, time and time again by friendship and destiny.  It is sad and deep, but it still seemed artificial in some parts, which just brings me back to Hathaway's accent.
-I'd suggest this one to people who liked Wuthering Heights (yes, I'm actually referring to the Bronte book here).

The older, but not too much older movies:

The Kids Are Alright:
-Some really excellent performances and character development/progression in this movie.  I'd been meaning to watch this one since it came out in 2010.  For anyone who isn't familiar, it's the story of a family with lesbian parents who have to deal with the new presence of their sperm-donor, nearly twenty years after the birth of their first child. This film had a beautiful and complex plot.  Great writing too.
 -I'd recommend this one to anyone who enjoys the work of Julianne Moore in a serious role (although, she absolutely takes the cake in 30 Rock).

A Single Man:
-I think this is one of the most profound movies I've seen lately.  Colin Firth does a completely phenomenal job in this film.  It is flawless: casting, costume design, cinematography, directing, writing and obviously acting!  It takes place in the 1960s in Los Angeles and chronicles one monumental day in the life of George, as he revisits the most important moments of his existence.
-If you haven't already seen it, go rent it! Do it.  I'd recommend this one to anyone who is looking for an amazing film that is worth the time.  (I liked it as much as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, that's a ton!)

No comments:

Post a Comment